Sunday 21 January 2007

Lottery

I didn't win the lottery this week - and frankly I'm a little disappointed ! See, it's a synchronicity thing, and here's the full story - bear with me, it does explain everything.

On Friday, driving home from work, my mind was wandering somewhat while stuck in traffic and I was thinking about Google. I got to thinking how reliant I now am on Google and how little I actually need to think of answers to questions anymore. I figured I had probably Googled (or checked on wikipedia) at least a dozen things during my day at work. I had even Googled directions for a lost truck-driver, then showed him the exact car park he needed to be in, on Google maps.

Now, you may think "Well, that's a good thing, isn't it - having all the answers at your fingertips ?". Well, it is to an extent, but I'm worried that I'll lose my ability to think of answers to simple questions, and one day someone will ask me a question and I'll be without internet access. Will I just blank ? Will something kick in and return me to my former thinking state ? I was having some kind of weird nostalgia for the pre-Google days of cluelessness and thinking !

Anyway, not long after finally getting home I was reading Douglas Coupland's J-pod, and I read the following passage : ".... we're googling every ten minutes. The problem is, after a week of intense googling, we've started to burn out on knowing the answer to everything. God must feel that way all the time. I think people in the year 2020 are going to be nostalgic for the sensation of feeling clueless".

:o 2020, Douglas ? Try right now !

So, with a strange feeling of synchronicity, akin to deja vu, I wondered what other synchronicity was in the ether, and if I had stumbled into some sort of cycle of coincidence or something (yes, I really do think like this sometimes).

Then, a few pages later on I read.... "What a weird coincidence. I should go out and buy a lottery ticket". "How come ?". "Anytime you have a coincidence happen to you, it means you've entered a luck warp - for the next short while everything you do will be touched by it".

:o I'm in a luck warp ?!

And so it happened that the following day I bought my first ever lottery ticket, a lucky dip. I was quietly confident that the £4.7m was mine but sadly, when checking the numbers, only two of the six had come up.I must have come out of my luck warp - next time I'll act faster !

5 comments:

Candi said...

Oh! You very well may be in a luck warp, but winning the lotto isn't the only way to be lucky. Who knows what luck was happening behind the scenes for you.

I know what you mean about Google and having the info at all times. In a way, I enjoy that and it sure helps Britty in school as well. On the other hand, it's like the millionaire who can have everything she wants. You miss the too real sensations of hoping and wanting, or the excitement of a dream. Perhaps that is why you did not win the lotto. :) You enjoy the dream part too much.

Shauneh said...

Yes, I enjoy the dream part, but I think I'd enjoy the £4.7m more :lol:

Anon said...

Hi Shaun!

Lol! I didn't know you had a blogger account! Neat! Thanks for the comment on my blog!

Aww! Sad you didn't win the lotto. We'll still be your friend...I guess. :P

~Britty

Louise said...

I still love you, even if we -are- still poor.

Louise said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.