Friday 12 January 2007

Marc Almond - Heart On Snow

It's very rare that I hear an album for the first time and know immediately that it will be one of my favourite albums of all time..... but it happened this week with Marc Almond's "Heart On Snow".

I had read much about the album in Marc's book, "In Search of the Pleasure Palace: Disreputable Travels", which was my "launderette book" a few months ago. Marc had been asked to visit Russia and record a variety of traditional Russian songs with a wider variety of Russian artists. There were many reasons for his acceptance, but the main reasons were probably boredom and a desire to see the country & sample the culture again. The result is this truly magical album, "Heart On Snow" which I'd recommend to anyone, regardless of what you think your musical compass encompasses !

Just about every track is a gem and some of the lyrics are just downright beautiful. His voice really comes into it's own with these songs, which he sings in a mixture of English and (phonetic) Russian. The album will also give you a chance to hear Marc duet with the amazing Russian diva, Alla Bayanova, who was 88 years old when the album was recorded.

Buy it now !

4 comments:

Candi said...

Who knew you were a writer!? Nicely said. I'd love to hear this. Thanks for sharing!

Shauneh said...

It's such a lovely, diverse album. I've had it playing on the car stereo for nearly a week now (but have just done a Deftones compilation of a possible setlist for when we see them in March, so....)

Do you use Firefox ? If so, have you downloaded the AllPeers add-on ? You can share music files safely via a secure p2p connection ;-)

Candi said...

I do use Firefox. I love it. I have not added the AllPeers add-on, but I will look into it! :P In fact...I'll do that right now!

Candi said...

I added it! :)